Sunday, May 3, 2026

New Directions

The Road Goes Ever On: The Next Chapter

I started this blog nearly 20 years ago, mostly because I wanted to journal my exploration of awesome places found within the geographical borders of the Colorado Plateau.

Through that span I traveled into and experienced many amazing landscapes, enjoying the thrill and appreciation of discovery each time I turned the corner or crested a hill to see some new (to me) vista.

I can't say that I've seen it all, for the scope and scale of the landscape is simply too large.  The span of a normal human life is not enough, even if all I ever did was travel.  I am fortunate that I had time, opportunity, and desire to accomplish what I did, but I realize there are places I'm not going to see, and that's just the way it is.

As I've gotten older, I've shifted my focus to whatever time remains to me.  I'm still reasonably fit and capable, and with the world a very large place, I am compelled to travel beyond my backyard.  I know I can't possibly see everything that appeals to my sense of wonder, but prioritizing my future wandering may allow me to get to some of the locations I've always wanted to visit.

The exploration and personal discovery of the southwest will always be part of me, and I still enjoy living in proximity to places that helped shape my appreciation of the natural world.  But going forward, this blog continues as a chronicle of new adventures as I embark on journeys farther from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment